Halloween is fast approaching, and there are tons of great ways to celebrate the season and this beautiful weather we’re having in KC! Here are some kid-friendly (read: not-so-scary) ways to celebrate Halloween before the big day.
- Paul Mesner Presents: Georgie and the Noisy Ghost: Based on the book by Robert Bright, this children’s classic relates the story of a shy, friendly ghost named Georgie who takes a trip with Mr. and Mrs. Whittaker to their seaside cottage. When a Noisy Ghost disrupts the vacation, it’s up to Georgie to help his fellow ghost learn to be helpful…and not so noisy! October 19-30 at the Mesner Puppet Studio, 1006 Linwood Blvd, Kansas City, MO 64109
- Storyteller Jo Ho at Mill Creek Activity Center: Join Jo and her not so scary scarecrows for a lively story time to learn about autumn and harvest time on Weds, Oct. 19. Giggles and sing-a-longs abound! Pre-registration is required by contacting the museum at (913)715-2575. 10-11am at Mill Creek Activity Center, 6518 Vista Dr., Shawnee, Kansas, 66217
Getting into the Halloween Spirit
- Pumpkin Palooza: Games, face painting, trunk or treat, and live entertainment to welcome in Halloween! October 22, 9am-1pm (or until pumpkins sell out); Sunflower House, 1554 W. 65 Street, Shawnee, KS 66216
- Brick or Treat at LegoLand: Come out for spooktacular fun at Brick or Treat Oct. 22&23 and 29&30! Build your own pumpkin out of LEGO® brick, search for all kinds of monsters in MINILAND, get fang-tastic prizes, learn to build your own Great Pumpkin, get an exclusive Halloween factory brick, and much more in preparation for Halloween. Wear your Halloween costume to receive $3 off full price, walk-up admission only.
- The Great Pumpkin Fest at Worlds of Fun: Celebrate the 50th anniversary of It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown with tons of not-so-scary activities in Planet Snoopy at Worlds of Fun. Kids are encouraged to wear their costumes and enjoy trick or treating, the hay bale maze, Linus’ Great Pumpkin Patch, Sally’s Creepy Crafts, and Spooky Tales with Snoopy for added fun. Runs through October, 11am-5pm each Saturday and Sunday.
- Pumpkin Express Train: Enjoy a railroad ride to the pumpkin patch on the Belton, Grandview & Kansas City Railroad. Train times are 12:30, 2 and 3:30pm on October 22 & 23
- Fall Harvest Days at Paradise Park: Every fall Paradise Park cranks up the tractors and theme the grounds for a fall harvest experience. Daytime hayrides run every weekend on a regular basis with S’mores and hot chocolate by the campfire. Added features include the children’s petting zoo with dozens of animals with the country hayride and some spooky Halloween activities including Laser Tag and more! Through October 30 at Paradise Park, 1021 NE Colbern Rd Lee’s Summit, MO 64086.
- Jungle-o-Ween: Enjoy a pumpkin patch, hayride through a haunted trail, carnival games, a bounce house, food trucks and more at Macken Park in North Kansas City. October 22, 11am-3pm at Macken Park Festival Shelter, at the corners of Clark Ferguson Drive and Howell Street, NKC. Click herefor a park map.
Animals & Halloween
- Night of the Living Farm: Every October they transform Deanna Rose Farmstead into a fun-filled, yet eerily spooky place. Enjoy scary and non-scary activities for all ages! 6-9pm at Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead, 13800 Switzer Road, Overland Park, KS 66221; $10 General Admission, $1 off for Friends of the Farmstead Members, Under age 2 – Free; Oct. 21, 22, 28 & 29
- Fairy Tale Forest: This non-scary Halloween event is sure to delight you and your little ones! Walk through a quarter-mile trail lit with over 100 jack-o-lanterns, meet fantastically fun animals and fairy tale characters for trick-or-treating, and enjoy crafts and meeting real animals in the Nature Sanctuary. October 21-23 at Martha Lafite Thompson Nature Sanctuary, 407 N. La Frenz Road, Liberty, MO; event runs October 21-23
- Sea Life Halloween: Visit Sea Life and watch the spooky spectacle of underwater pumpkin carving, vote for your favorite underwater masterpiece, enjoy face painting and more as Sea Life kicks off Halloween October 22& 23, and 29&30. Be sure to wear your favorite costume!
- Hoots & Howls: Join the KC Zoo for some Halloween fun! From 10am-3pm, cruise around on a pedal tractor, navigate a hay bale maze and have your face painted like your favorite animal. Sing along with our interactive DJ and take a ride on the Scare-o-cel. Animals are joining in the fun by smashing pumpkins at scheduled times throughout the day. Weekends in October through October 23.
- Growl-o-Ween: Every October the Country Club Plaza is taken over by costumed pups competing for prizes and doing ‘Tricks for Treats” at over 30 participating Plaza Merchants! October 22, 11am at Mill Creek Park, 47th & J.C. Nichols Parkway; registration is $10/dog pre-event; $15/dog on day of event
Something Totally Different
- Trick-or-Cache at Antioch Park: This is definitely a different way to celebrate Halloween! Search for caches filled with candy and trinkets hidden around Antioch Park using Global Positioning Systems (GPS). End the hunt with hot dogs, s’mores, and spooky stories around the fire circle. Register at Johnson County Parks & Rec’s Online Registration page by October 17. 11am&5:30pm at Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch Road, Merriam, KS, 66202. Trick-or-Cache happens October 21.
- Haunted Kansas: As darkness falls on October 22, walk through the trails of Ernie Miller Park and listen to the stories of long ago. Characters from the past will share legends around the campfire. Expect a shiver down the spine and a mild case of goose bumps for those who dare enter the forest on this autumn evening. 6:30-8pm, Ernie Miller Nature Park, 909 N Hwy 7 Olathe, KS, 66061, recommended for ages 8 & up
- Day of the Dead Celebration: Discover the history and cultural traditions of Día de los Muertos with live music, StoneLion Puppet Theatre, crafts, face painting and food. All ages welcome! Bring a picnic and enjoy the historic grounds of the Kansas City Museum. 1 – 4 pm, October 23 at Kansas City Museum at Corinthian Hall, 3218 Gladstone Blvd., Kansas City, MO
Check out our Events Calendar for many more upcoming Halloween activities in and around KC, and stay tuned for Halloween Part 2 next week at KC Kids Fun for more Halloween fun and trick-or-treating ideas for a safe Halloween!
Images courtesy of the LEGOLAND Discovery Center Kansas City, Worlds of Fun and the Kansas City Zoo.