It’s that time of year! Kansas City is full of fun Christmas events and celebrations going on all around the city (see our Events Calendar). One of my family’s favorite places to visit during the holiday season is Union Station, which offers a wide variety of fun holiday activities throughout the month of December.
What’s in store for you:
- Science City offers “Merry Science” on Dec. 10, and Noon Year’s Eve on Dec. 31, both jam-packed full of learning and fun activities to bring in the holidays. Merry Science includes a Toy Workshop in the Maker Space, cookie decorating with Mrs. Claus, a holiday egg drop, and so much else to help kids discover Christmas in a new way. Noon Year’s Eve is the 4th annual celebration, from noon-7pm at Science City on Dec. 31.
- Kansas City Southern Holiday Express, Mini Train Rides and more: Santa Claus and his elves come back to Union Station on the Holiday Express train, Dec. 16-20. Visit with Santa and tour this unique Christmas train for free (reservations suggested). In addition, there are mini train rides throughout the month. Mini train rides are $5/person (free for Union Station members) and riders must be under 48″. Click here for the schedule and more details. Plus, there will be an expanded Holiday Model Rail Exhibit, with more than 800 feet of track, 18 consecutive running trains and a 15-foot, 3-D, lighted Kansas City Southern Rudy train engine!
- The “Holiday Swing” Indie Craft Fair: Go local Dec. 11 and shop the 100+ handmade and vintage vendors of Strawberry Swing, plus enjoy a special Quixotic surprise!
- Gingerbread House Display: Dec. 13 – 24, the Kansas City Culinary Arts School has some amazing and creative Gingerbread houses to explore.
- Various performances throughout the month, including the Snow Globe Musical Performance and Nutcracker: All Jazz’d Up on Dec. 17.
- Finally, when you need a break, be sure to check out:
- the Theatre for Young America’s The Three Wise Cats: A Christmas Musical, through Dec. 24
- the Arvin Gottlieb Planetarium’s feature Let It Snow, Dec. 10-Jan. 8, or
- the Regnier Extreme Screen Theatre’s series of holiday “classic” movies for just $3/person through December 15, including Polar Express, Dec. 9-15.
And, of course, there’s a special mailbox for kids of all ages to post their letters to Santa, located on level B, Tuesdays-Sundays!
Images courtesy of Union Station.